Tablet vs Laptop: The Benefits and Disadvantages
In an age of technology, today's generations can benefit greatly. Consumers today have a lot to choose from when they're seeking a device that will connect them to the internet for work, school, or personal use.
Office work, that's been completed primarily on desktop computers over the last couple of decades, can now be done on laptop computers and tablets. Both of them are capable of running software and performing a variety of tasks. Yet despite their similarities, they are also very different when it comes to size, portability, battery life, and more. They have different features and limitations.
Popular Types of Laptops
The following laptops are among the more popular recent models.
- MSI GS65 Stealth - With a cutting-edge array of components, the new MSI GS65 Stealth has a lot to offer hard-core gamers. With its 8th-generation Intel Core i7-8750H processor and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 GPU, the well-designed unit can handle gaming, office work, or other computer tasks with ease.
- Apple Macbook Pro - The latest Macbook Pro with Touch Bar has stepped up their game this year. It's super fast with a Quad-core Intel Core i5–i7 processor.
- Asus ZenBook Flip S UX370 - A 2-in-1 product that can be used as a laptop and a tablet, it's very thin and light with a lot of power and a lot of RAM.
- Dell XPS 13 - A powerhouse of a laptop, Dell XPS 13 is slender. It has a high end Intel processor, and a wonderful display they call “Infinity Edge”. It is among the top Windows laptops on the market at the moment.
- Huawei MateBook X Pro - A real challenger to Dell and Macbook, the Huawei Matebook X Pro has a stunning design, a gorgeous screen, and a battery life that puts its rivals to shame. Packed with more than enough features and power to satisfy any laptop user.
Popular Types of Tablets
The following tablets are among the more popular recent models.
- iPad Mini 4 - iPad Mini 4 is perhaps the best small-screen tablet on the market. It offers the best of Apple tablets in a highly portable format and at a reasonable price.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - A simple, powerful tablet that has everything needed to entertain, to do work, or take care of personal computing tasks. The tablet has an HDR screen, four speakers for quality sound and the S Pen stylus included too.
- iPad Pro 12.9 - One of the better Apple tablets, it's fast, powerful and offers a stunning visual display. The Apple Pencil can be used here along with the smart keyboard cover. It's a tablet with lost of features, power, and space.
- iPad 2018 - For those needing a really good tablet on a budget, the new iPad might be a good choice. With a crisp 9.7-inch display, quality internals and a good price, what more can one ask for? It includes an A10 Fusion chipset, Apple Pencil support, and more. Available in either 32GB or 128GB storage choices.
- iPad Pro 10.5 - It's hard to go wrong with this tablet. It includes an impressive array of productivity features, a crisp display, Apple Pencil, Smart Keyboard compatibility, and more. This tablet has everything a professional needs.
Laptops vs. Tablets
How do these two devices match up? Here’s their comparison in a variety of categories.
There are thousands of accessories and peripherals that are available for use with laptop computers. Most individual tablets offer a number of accessories like input devices, screen protectors, charging stations, and more.
Laptops can't compete with the battery life of a tablet. Since tablets have smaller screens and less components, the longevity of the battery in a tablet is substantially better than that of laptops.
For laptops, boot time on newer models is faster, those of even 1-2 generations back take time to boot up. Most tablets boot up very quickly.
Costs for laptop computers can vary greatly depending on size, power, and other factors. The cost can be as low as $400 and as high as thousands of dollars. Costs for tablets also vary but are, in general, less expensive. Low end tablets can be purchased for under $100 but go as high as a few hundred dollars.
Keyboards are used for laptops as input devices along with the touch pad. A mouse may also be connected and used. For tablets, on-screen keyboards are the primary input device though stylus, external keyboards, and other devices may be used.
The operating systems of laptops are more robust and have more resources available. The operating systems of tablets are leaner because they run on devices with less resources. Even so, the OS are feature-rich and adequate.
While laptops are portable, with newer models growing slimmer and more lightweight by the year, there are still laptops that are heavy and cumbersome to take along. Tablets are very portable, some easily fitting into a small bag or purse with ease. They are designed with portability and durability in mind.
Laptops use high-powered processors that accomplish many tasks. Tablets are leaner and don't have the high-powered processors that laptops use.
Storage space for laptops can go as far as 1 terabyte (TB) of space. Even with low-end devices, there is usually adequate storage space. Featuring built-in storage, tablets usually offer space in ranges from 8GB to 125GB. Some devices can be expanded to offer more space.
While there are a growing number of models that offer touchscreen, most laptops at this time don't offer the feature. All tablets offer touchscreens which can often be easier for new users.
All laptops can be upgraded as far as hardware is concerned be it memory, storage space, or expansion cards. Tablets are limited as to what can be upgraded aside from memory cards at this point.