These Remedies and Products Help Treat the Symptoms of Behcet's Disease
There are many rare diseases which a person can find themselves afflicted by. Behcet’s disease is a very rare one which will affect the blood vessels throughout the body. The vessels become inflamed. Because it affects so many aspects of the body, Behcet’s disease has some interesting symptoms. Unlike many diseases, Behcet’s disease has a huge number of symptoms. Many of them might seem odd or unrelated at first glance.
Since there’s no cure, treatment for Behcet’s disease is focused around controlling the symptoms. There are a large number of products which might be used in conjunction with the symptoms of Behcet’s. Since this disease does not currently have a cure, items purchased are aimed at reducing the severity of symptoms.
Signs and Symptoms of Behcet’s Disease
There are a very large number of symptoms which may be seen with Behcet’s disease. The most common is painful red sores that occur in the mouth. They last for between one and three weeks. The skin on the body will often deal with red nodules or acne style sores. The skin on the scrotum and vulva can deal with painful open red sores as well. People who Behcet’s can find that their ankles, elbows and their wrists become painful and swell up. Another very common issue is uveitis in the eyes. This is a symptom in which the eyes become inflamed and painful. Vision is usually blurred. Digestive problems are also common. People can feel some severe cramps and abdominal pain. Diarrhea can occur and blood during bowel movements is common. When arteries or veins swell, it can cause people’s legs to turn, swell and suffer from pain and blood clots. This is a dangerous symptom as they can lead to aneurysms. When Behcet’s disease causes inflammation within the brain, headaches and fever are common. Other people feel disoriented or lose their balance. A stroke is possible and is a very dangerous symptom.
Products Used to Treat Behcet’s Disease
There are many different options that might be used. The goal is to treat the symptoms as well as possible. Typically medications are the first line of defense (natural treatments will be discussed later in the article). Keep in mind that all products used to treat the disease should be discussed with a doctor first. Some of the medicinal products include:
- As Behcet’s is considered to be somewhat of an autoimmune disorder, many treatment options are intended to calm the immune system down from attacking itself. This medication of the immunosuppressant category. Typically, these will come in oral pill form.
- Inflammation therapy is very common. This can occur in multiple forms like topical creams, ointments or in a mouthwash.
- Pain relief will often come in topical form. This means that a series of gels, eye drops, ointments and rinses can be purchased. The medicinal ingredients and specific items need to be determined by doctors.
Natural Products and Lifestyle Options to Treat Behcet’s Diseases
Since Behcet’s disease can strike at any time, many people with it work to take advantage of the times when they are not facing a flare up. Exercise is important for overall health and is recommended. It’s especially useful for those with joint pain. Other lifestyle and natural options include:
- Zinc Sulfate Supplements - Some studies have shown some improvements for those who choose to take Zinc Sulfate against those with Behcet’s disease but ignore the supplement.
- Oral Health Products - Since mouth sores are so common, keeping the mouth as healthy as possible will reduce the issues with Behcet’s disease. There are recipes for all natural toothpastes and mouthwash options online if the goal is to keep things 100% natural.
- Anti Inflammatory Foods - What you eat can make a difference. There are some foods which can help. Foods like avocado, olives and walnuts are known to have healthy fats which can help. Nuts are a tricky substance however, as some studies have shown them to make the ulcers found in the mouth more severe. This has typically been almonds and peanuts. Other food to avoid for the sake of mouth ulcers includes pineapple, cheeses and lemon.
- Meditation - Try buying some incense and some white noise and attempting meditation. Behcet’s disease is often high stress. Those who are best able to manage their stress often do a much better job of managing the disease.
Medical Disclaimer: Our health-related articles are for general informational purposes only, the article writer is not necessarily a medical or scientific professional, and they may or may not have any specific medial training. This article is not reviewed by a medical professional. Some of the information contained within these articles may provide information about treatments or the use of a medical drug or product that has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. We do not recommend or endorse any of these products, services or treatments. The results of any mentioned service or treatment may vary between people.
Our health-related articles should not be considered as medical advice. You should not delay or disregard seeking advice from a doctor or other healthcare provider. Always speak with a medical professional before any changes to a prescribed care or treatment. Our health-related articles are provided as a helpful resource, but they should never be a substitute for qualified medical diagnosis, treatment, or advice from a certified healthcare provider. If a medical emergency, call a doctor or dial 911 immediately.